Keyword research is ideally the first activity when you want to start an eCommerce store. It should be done prior to the wire-framing of your store. If your store is already up and running, do an exhaustive keyword search and implement the suggestions given by the SEO result. Why should you do Keywords Research?
- It sets the base for Organic Search (SEO)
- Assists in grouping the products in Categories/Collections and Subcategories
- Boosts organic traffic, sustainable traffic & sales
How to do keyword research? Keyword research helps to find all possible relevant keywords that can bring in significant traffic to your eCommerce store. For example – “shoe”, if you are opening a shoe store, you should make sure that before wire-framing the store structure you have all the expected list of keywords related to “Shoe”. It will open a gateway of opportunity, which can bring in high traffic to your store without investing on paid campaigns.
- Competitors Competitors are the best way to find all the relevant keywords used in your target industry. Take the top 10 market leaders and top 10 start-ups/emerging companies. Many a times the emerging companies do better keyword research and are more focused on organic traffic, they can give you better results. There are many paid competitor analysis tools like SEM Rush, Spyfu, and Similarweb which can help you do competitor analysis. The tools will give a vast array of keywords, filter out the redundant keywords and the brand related keywords. To cite an example, if you are planning to open a “shoe store” your main competitor is “Lavya shoes”, the competitor might be getting traffic from the brand name “Lavya” “Lavya” filter out all keywords.Keywords such as “Lavya Competitor” “Alternative to Lavya” “Fashion store other than Lavya” are the ones that should be in your keywords list. You can’t create a collection or a category page for these keywords, but you can target these keywords in your blog or any content page. These pages will help you reach the unsatisfied customer of reputed brands.
- Google Keyword Planner It is the most accurate tool for keyword research, you can find new keywords for targeted locations and it is extremely accurate since it is a Google product. However it has few limitations, such as low search volume keywords does not show any result. It generally shows a variety of generic keywords, based on this eCommerce stores can plan various categories and Shopify stores can plan for collection pages.
- Long tail keyword Long tail keywords have low search volume, but the conversion ratio is very high, it’s imperative to find the right long tail keywords for your products. Google AdWords – It’s the best place to find authentic long tail keywords. Many low SV keywords are ignored by Google keyword planner, you can easily find these keywords using AdWords. Run a broad-based AdWords campaign using few Ad groups and 10-15 keywords per Adgroup. All the keywords should be a “Broad Match”, the broad-based keyword will show your ads to a larger audience and help you find the new keyword.If you need immediate help this holiday season, contact us and we’ll get you on your way.
As it’s a campaign to find keywords, don’t be lenient. Have a proper ad group, adcopy and landing page, the keywords should be “broad match”. Run the campaign for 10-15 days and check the search queries. In search queries, you will find many new long tail keywords, repeat the campaign for every 15 days; at the end of 3 months you will have a good list of long tail keywords.In the above case, the company is providing “contact center product”, the new valid keywords are“call center inbound software”, similarly you can find new keywords for shoe store.Auto complete or Google Suggest – When you start a search on Google, you can find the information you’re looking for faster using search predictions. The auto complete will help you find related search terms that other people are searching.
Take the base keyword generated from keyword planner and run an auto complete campaign.It can be tedious but you will get many new keywords. In the above image, on the left side we have fed “online sports shoe”, Google has suggested 3 new keywords. Now, there are many tools which give a broad set of suggested keywords, the right-side image is from a tool(https://www.infinitesuggest.com/), just feed a keyword and you will get 20 -30 new similar keywords. Google related Searches – When you do any search, Google suggests some related searches at the bottom of the page, these are also related searches to your queries. Take the base keyword generated from keyword planner and run an auto complete campaign. It can be tedious but you will get many new keywords. In the above image, on the left side we have fed “online sports shoe”, Google has suggested 3 new keywords. Now, there are many tools which give a broad set of suggested keywords, the right-side image is from a tool(https://www.infinitesuggest.com/), just feed a keyword and you will get 20 -30 new similar keywords. Google related Searches – When you do any search, Google suggests some related searches at the bottom of the page, these are also related searches to your queries. Q & A forum – The Question Forums like Quora and Yahoo answer are ideal places to find the topics and question discussed by your customers; although a few of the questions may be irrelevant for you. But many topics are hot and sought out by your audience. These topics can be very helpful to find new topics for blogs and content writing, infographics, articles etc. If you search for “shoe” in Quora, you can find many topics discussed related to “shoe”. You can similarly search for relevant topics in its search bar.
- Brainstorm Brainstorm is the best way to come up with a new keyword, discuss in detail, take the help of salesperson and customer care, as they are the people directly interacting with the customers.Synonym – Take synonym of the product/service. Ex- Online shoe store can have many similar words such as online shoe retailer, shoe e-retailer, shoe retailer online, shoe store on internet etc.In eCommerce there are numerous products in a collection or category like a casual shoe there can be more than 100 shoes and you should make sure each product has a unique keywordLike a collection of black casual shoe can have “Action black casual shoe” “Action black men’s casual shoe” “Casual shoe black – Action” etc.Even after doing keyword research it’s possible that you don’t find the right keywords for all products, you must then brainstorm and come up with different keywords.Keywords that come after brainstorming must be dynamic keywords, you must always monitor and change them if it’s not performing.Spelling mistakes – People don’t always search with correct spellings, as humans we make mistakes while doing search. Make the list of all the popularly used misspelled keywords. We cannot use misspelled keywords in page or title, but we can use it in metatags and image ALT tags.
If you need immediate help this holiday season, contact us and we’ll get you on your way. Get done first 20 hours task for FREE & FREE store audit